The team played in the Bynum Gymnasium, a venue known for its unusual running track suspended above the court. Play moved to the Tin Can during the 1924 season, until the team's relocation to the Woollen Gymnasium in 1938. Rudimentarily built of steel, attempts to heat the Tin Can during early season at first failed, with ice often forming inside:
While historic Carmichael Auditorium was under renovation, the women's team played the 2008–09 season at the Dean Smith Center to the south of campus. The final game at the old Carmichael was an 82–51 rout of local rivals Duke in front of a sell-out 8,010 attendance, completing an unbeaten home and conference season. Upon reopening, the building's name was changed to Carmichael Arena.